Sunday, September 13, 2009

Updates on all fronts!

Hey guys,
So I am the worst blogger ever (this is why I never took up journaling)

Here is an update on everything:

Venue- Deposit down, still no word on the menu. I'm going to give him another month and then start gently pressing.

Flowers- Deposit down, found the perfect lantern like centerpieces (currently on back order with the Container Store)

DJ- So unhappy with this category. First, I can't believe how many DJs didn't return repeated calls. Second, of the DJs we have talked to, no one seems willing to do what we want. I hate the idea of compromising with a Vendor (I mean these guys get paid to show up and play music, how bizarre for me to ask that they guarantee it will be the right music)

Dress- Haven't been shopping yet but it's coming up soon.

Officiant- If anyone has ideas let me know. What I would really like to do is hire an actor to play the part of an officiant.

Photographer- Haven't looked yet


Save the dates- So we are a year out and it's time to get those save the dates in the mail. You know that little nudge that says you will be invited to this wedding, so block it out on your calendar, start saving a dollar a day toward your plane ticket etc. My big idea for this was magnets. I love the magnets...they sit on your fridge forever being useful and reminding you not to book that Colorado trip for the weekend of the 10th next year.

Sadly, magnets at our tiny qty. have a crazy per piece price and I really don't want a couple boxes of them just kickin around. Yeah I know, I can totally go and hire some skeeze in Chinatown to do it for way cheaper. The problem there is that dude proabably thinks Panteone chips are something they sell at Trader Joe's and because they are wedding magnets he's going to mark me as a not returning customer and slop some gunk on poorly/unevenly cut hunks of mildly magnetic material.

Enter Steve's brilliant idea: Leaves (silk ones not the real crunchies) painted with the save the date info and mailed out in posh envelopes. Will we hot glue tiny magnets to the back? Possibly.

We bought a packet of leaves tried out 6 different paint pens and I think we have found a winner. Next up, have Steve write each one free hand or develop a stencil? (Yes poor Steve is doing all of the writing for this wedding b/c his handwriting is far superior to mine)

Guest List: I am missing a quarter of the addresses we need to send out the save the dates (booo age of the Internet and me not knowing where any of my friends live) Emailed and Facebooked a bunch of them and am in the process of tracking them down.

Website: So, when sending a treasured friend or family member a cryptic faux leaf in the mail it is polite to offer them a tiny bit more information. Hahha and so our website is slowly taking shape. I visited a couple of wedding sites (all crap templates) and the Knot personal site was trully awful before I decided to do it myself. And if you're going to do it you might as well do it right. So, I bought the domain www.bucywedding.com (much easier to write on a leaf than the garbled string of junk the wedding sites give you) and am working on it. Some of you have already recieved content requests. Here's the basic structure I have so far along with a description of the content I'm thinking of adding. Please please please comment, I really want to know if there are other additons to be made before I get too deep into production.

Home (brief overview of the date and location with mapping feature)
Our Stories (background on us and how we met)
The Parents (head shot and bios for all of the different parent groups)
Wedding Party (headshot and Bio for everyone in the wedding party)
Timeline (structure of the wedding weekend and the event itself)
Hotels (links and descriptions of the hotels in the area)
Restaurants (some of Steve's favorite picks for the area)
Music (list of do not plays and comments fields, so that guests can make their suggestions)
FAQs (where we will be spelling out our dress code, child policy etc)
Guest Book ( a place for misc. comments, going to look into letting them upload pictures)
Our Registry(not sure what will be in in)

Okay that's the update, working on it, but man having a full time job sure does slow the planning down.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! SUCH progress being made!!! Good for you!! All looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete